Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Protein for Health

Whey protein has been around for decades since its first use on medical patients with wasting syndrome.  From there it was found to support pre- and post-workout muscle building, and now it is found in many shapes, sizes, and flavors, each with its own twist on marketing.
Most of these twists are gimmicks and the more flashy the marketing the further I stay away from them.
Research I have read shows that whey protein best supports the building of muscle tissue, while casein protein best supports the prevention of muscle breakdown.  Whey breaks down faster providing the immediate substrate amino acids needed for muscle synthesis, while casein digests slower, providing a more stable and long term supply of amino acids while also prompting the body through various growth factors to retain the muscle mass already present.
For these reasons I am a big fan of combining whey and casein protein in my pre and post workout shakes.
What I do is mix into a shaker up
12 oz of raw milk with about
20 to 30 grams of honey and
one scoop of Mt. Carpa Double Bonded Protein (Goat Milk) or Vital Force Double Bonded Protein
This provides about
three blocks of protein, (21g)
four blocks of carbs (36g)
three of good vitamin rich animal fat (9g)
Between waking and exercising I will take a few sips of this to prepare my blood with glucose and amino acids.  Then after my training I will drink the rest of the shake.
I have had great results with this and am pleased that it is composed of whole foods and not supplements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment