Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil certainly holds first place in my mind when it comes to cooking and baking.  I use it daily for just about everything.  Whether it is frying shrimp, or frying eggs, I always melt a tablespoon or two of coconut oil into the pan. 

Coconut oil has other kitchen uses beyond just greasing the skillet.  In fact when I want to make a nice fluffy omelet I melt about two tablespoons of coconut oil and whip it into four eggs.  This makes the most wonderful, thick, soft, and fluffy omelets.  And the added fat content keeps my hunger at bay until lunch! 

Perhaps the best part is coconut oil is mostly medium chain triglycerides (MCT) in the form of lauric acid MCTs provide a quick and steadier stream of energy that does not spike insulin levels or cause low blood sugar such as carbohydrates.  Additionally MCTs are not readily stored by the body as fat and instead become fuel in our muscles and even the brain as ketones.  

So when I want sustained energy without messing with my insulin or glucose levels I add or take straight a spoon full of coconut oil to my meals.
Later one I will demonstrate how I make omelets, brownies, and pancakes from coconut oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment